As a person who wants to make the most of their electricity use, while remaining safe in the process, it pays to develop and practice some quality home electricity safety practices. The guidelines set forth in this article will help you to remain safe while using appliances, dealing with wiring and avoiding electrical catastrophes. With this in mind, read the following information and use it to stay safe inside of your home, while also protecting your electrical fixtures.
Know Your Circuit Breaker
A lot of electrical issues can be avoided when you become familiar with your breaker. The circuit breaker trips to avoid electrical overload and will immediately shut down that particular system you are using. Locate your electrical breaker and learn what each and every panel covers so that you are able to use it whenever necessary. This way, you'll also be able to quickly restore power after dealing with a potential electrical overload.
Avoid Landing In Hot Water
Believe it or not, one of the most common electrical problems people deal with revolve around water. You will need to gain control over your hot water heater and keep it at temperatures no greater than 120 degrees. When water gets up to the 150 degree range, you can be badly scalded with third-degree burns in less than two seconds of contact. For this reason, always get your hot water heater serviced and keep all of its wiring and circuits intact.
Be Safe With Extension Cords
If you use extension cords in your home, you will need to learn the best ways to maintain them. First and foremost, use extension cords as a bonus -- not to replace the wiring inside of your building. Extension cords and other temporary wiring account for a quarter of all electrical fires annually. Further, never cover these cords by running them underneath carpet and rugs and get rid of any cords that have damage, rather than trying to repair them.
Keep An Electrical Extinguisher Handy
To stay safe of electrical fire, you will need to have an electrical fire extinguisher inside of your home. These fire extinguishers use dry chemicals rather than water to put out fires. Using a standard extinguisher will only exacerbate a fire and make the electrical issue worse. Keep these extinguishers in easy to access places so that you are always equipped and ready to fight the fire.
Follow these electrical safety tips and you will be comfortable and have peace of mind inside of your home. For more information, talk with a certified electrician, like those at Live Electric.Share